- Course Code: UKTC19PHO
- Location: Online
- Duration: 2.0 hours
- Cost: £20.00
- Qualification: Teaching Phonics Certificate
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
When it comes to teaching children how to read, experts across the UK agree that phonics is the best method. For many teachers, parents and carers who did not learn phonics in school, supporting the child in your life, as they learn this approach can be difficult. However, consistency is extremely important, especially when it comes to something as fundamental as being shown how to read and write.
This course goes over everything you need to know about teaching phonics to your child spread out over two separate modules.
The first module gives you an introduction to phonics, including the methods used and the goals of each one.
Our second module talks about working with phonics in everyday situations. We also review the topic of phonics and dyslexia, as well as briefly discuss the use of phonics with ESL or (English as a second language) students.
By the end of the course, you should have a solid foundation that you can build on to help support the children or students in your life as they learn to read.
You Will Learn:
- The three main lessons that phonics teaches
- The four methods used to teach phonics to students in the UK
- The six phases of phonics as set out by the Department for Education
- Information about the Phonics Year 1 Screening Guide
- Reasons why you should include phonics in your lesson plans
Benefits of Taking This Course
- Understanding more about dyslexia
- Learning specific strategies that you can use to improve your child’s confidence
- If you are involved in ESL, you can learn the pros and cons of using phonics to teach your students how to read
- If you are a teacher or educator, you can learn more about the different approaches to phonics, helping you identify the best one for the children in your care
- If you are a parent, you can learn more about how to support your child at home as they continue to learn how to read
- Phonics is a method of teaching literacy by talking about the differences between sounds.
- At its core, phonics is about matching sounds to individual letters or groups of letters.
- By teaching individuals how to read this way, they can apply these lessons to other unfamiliar words, by sounding them out.
- Once you have a solid understanding of what phonics is, you can start to incorporate it into your own lessons.
- As you do so, you may encounter students who struggle.
- This module talks about how to work with phonics in these circumstances, beginning with a discussion about dyslexia.
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Teaching Phonics Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 2 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 2 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 2 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Teaching Phonics Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 2.0 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.